This week at the Carnival we are sharing our favorite experiences from book signings or other public appearances. So be sure to check out the other Carnis below. As for me, I have only done one book signing so far. It was unforgettable. The one thing that I will never forget about it is when I gave a free copy of Crushed to this young girl who didn't have the money to buy a copy. I could tell she was very interested in reading it, so I gave her one that had been slightly damaged. (My mother spilt coffee on the edge of it). She held it between both hands and stared down at it in awe as if I'd handed her the most precious of gifts. That look is the reason I write. Hopefully she enjoyed reading it as much as she enjoyed receiving it.
There were a few other interesting things that happened during that signing.
1. My aunt and uncle showed up to surprise me, driving in from another state.
2. A few people sneered at my book and told me they don't read.
3. Two people wanted me to autograph the book, then realized they didn't have the money to pay for it.
4. People like free candy. The free candy drew them to the table, but a lot of them just took the candy and ran without glancing at my book.
5. Two little boys asked for my autograph. (One of them brought his mom back later and she bought a book).
Join me in a few days when I post Marketing 101: I is for Interveiw. Only then... check out the other Carnis.