Saturday, June 15, 2013

Father's Day

When I was a child, I envied little girls with great dads who treated them like princesses and protected and loved them.  My dad didn't take the job very seriously.  He walked out when I was still a child, when I still needed him, and he left a gaping hole in my heart.  Father's Day used to pass me by without much notice.  Then I realized I have the greatest father in the world.

1.  He is always with me:  No matter what the time or day or night my Father is right there, willing and available to listen to my troubles.

2.  He protects me:  He's done it more times than I can count, probably a lot more than I even know of, but the event that comes to mind when I think of His protection is when I was trying to cook on the stove in a glass pan that apparently was not supposed to be used on the stove.  It was either an oven pan or a microwave one.  It exploded while my hand was inside of it, stirring.  After I got over the shock and began to clean up the mess I found glass embedded in the wall clear on the other side of the room, yet I didn't have a scratch. 

3.  He heals me:  Children run to their fathers when they fall down and the good ones will take a moment to comfort the child, kissing the boo boo or scooping them up into strong arms, but my Father heals me.  A few weeks ago my back was giving me trouble again.  It's happened a lot in the past so I knew what to expect.  Each day it got worse.  Within the week I would be unable to get out of bed without assistance.  But this time was different.  He reminded me of a story I'd heard about a young man who couldn't walk.  Yet he believed in God's healing power and he got out of bed.  Feeling returned and he was able to walk.  So I prayed for my back and quoted scriptures while I struggled to stand.  I praised my Father in heaven and continued to quote the Bible until my back was feeling better.  Each day it grew stronger and I was not bedridden this time.  :)

4.  He comforts me:  There were bad storms one night and I was home alone.  After the electricity went off I began to pray, sing, and spend time with my Father.  A tornado was close by.  The trees in the backyard bent over.  It should have scared the crap out of me, but a little Squirrel came up on the porch and sat there the entire time even though the wind was strong enough to blow it away.  It sat next to the window where I stood and watched.  God can send us comfort in all sorts of ways. 

5.  He provides for me:  Watching the news doesn't bother me like it used to because I know no matter how bad things get, God can take care of me.  He can provide opportunities to make more money if I need it.  He can provide people to help me with problems when I'm in need.  He can provide me with anything and everything I need.  Not just me, but for all of his children.

6.  He loves me:  I saved the best for last.  He loved me so much that He gave his only son so that I might have eternal life and spend eternity with Him. 

For those who roll their eyes while reading this, I was once like you.  I thought people who talked about God were mentally unbalanced.  Then I got to know Him and found out He is real and that He loves us.  So while others are out there wishing their fathers a happy day, I wanted to take the time to thank mine for everything He has done for me.  I'm only sorry it took me so long to come around, so many wasted years banging my head against the same brick wall, feeling lonely and unwanted.  I only wish everyone could know Him as I do.

Happy Father's Day!!!!

No comments: