Friday, February 24, 2012

Name That Tune

This week at the YA Carnival we are going to talk about music.  Do we listen to music when we write?  What music do we listen to?  Why is it important? 

If you have any thoughts on the matter, please leave them below.  Also, click on the other Carnis below and see what they have to say on the subject.

Music is extremely important to me when I write.  Personally, I think books should come with a soundtrack.  :)  So what do I listen to when I write?  It depends on the scene and what sort of mood I am trying to set.  Here is a short list of songs I've used.

1.  Crushed:  If you've read it, you know there is a sultry and beautiful scene between Zach and Kristen where they dance together and share a romantic evening.  I call it 'the red dress scene.'  For this scene I listened to Lady in Red by Simply Red.  It's the song they danced to, so I listened to it over and over as I choreographed their dance.

2.  Witch Hunt:  I listened to the songs the kids were listening to at the time.  The Squad likes to get together and dance and sometimes throw spells at each other.

3.  Bait:  This is a top-secret project at the moment, and I don't want to give away too much.  So I'll just say that I listen to Chris Daughtery and his band while writing for the lead in this book.  Listening to great music while writing makes it awesome fun to write.

4.  Vampires Rule:  I know I listened to a lot of music while writing this book, but I can't remember a single song now.  Wow.  Blows my mind how quickly I forget.

5.  Crushed:  I also listened to a lot of Avril Lavigne while writing this book, or as I like to call it angry-girl music. 

So that's it.  That's how I use music to write my books.  Happy writing!


.Laura A. H. Elliott author of Winnemucca & 13 on Halloween, Book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.Heather Self4.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series
5.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga6.Cheri Schmidt, author of the Fateful Trilogy
7.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog 8.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed
9.Patti Larsen, The Hunted series and The Hayle Coven series10.Amy Maurer Jones, Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy
11.Dani Snell's Refracted Light Reviews 12.Fisher Amelie, author of The Understorey
13.M. Leighton, Blood Like Poison Series, Madly, The Reaping 14.Kimberly Kinrade, Bits of You & Pieces of Me, Forbidden Mind
15.Madeline Smoot, Missing, Summer Shorts, and The Girls16.Cidney Swanson, author of Rippler
17.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter18.TG Ayer
19.Melissa Pearl, Author of The Time Spirit Trilogy20.Heather M. White, author of The Destiny Saga
21.Roots in Myth, PJ Hoover22.Courtney Cole Writes

2 comments:

Suzy, The Grey Brunette said...

I'm loving your angry girl music!! Avril Lavigne is pretty awesome... she's one of those singers that you don't realise you're a huge fan of, until you Youtube her songs and then it hits you... that girls rocks!

Kasi Blake said...

Yeah. Angry-Girl music rocks!!!