Monday, November 5, 2012

NaNo Writing

NaNoWriMo started five days ago.  It's been hard writing every day.  I'm not used to it.  If I'm going to be honest (and I am), I do not write every day in a typical week.  Life gets in the way.  That's one reason I was so hyped about doing this.  I am hoping to make it a habit.  As of now I have a little over fourteen thousand words.  I'm still optimistic about finishing my novel this month.  The only thing that could possibly stop me... distractions.

1.  Family and Friends:  I am constantly interrupted by family and friends.  They want to ask me a question or tell me something.  If someone comes into the room and sees me writing, they don't seem to have a problem with talking to me.  To them writing is a hobby, something I am doing for fun.  They wouldn't like it if they were at work and I was constantly bugging them.  I've tried pointing out that I'm busy.  They either get mad or act like I hurt their feelings.

2.  Social Media:  This has been one of my biggest distractions.  I play a couple of games on Facebook and don't feel like I can put them aside for a whole month.  People are relying on me to send them gifts, click on their posts, and be a good neighbor to them.  Then I have Twitter to keep up with and Goodreads and, of course, this blog.  It's hard to go cold turkey.  Even if my online friends understood why I can't do these things, I don't want to give them up.

3.  Life:  As I said above, life gets in the way of writing sometimes.  There are things I have to do in an average week, places I need to go.

Anyway, those are some of the things distracting me from working on my NaNo book.  It's still great fun to try to write each day.  I'm getting closer to being done, closer every day.  I'll keep you informed.  :)

No comments: