Friday, November 16, 2012

How to Write a Love Triangle

This week's topic at the Carnival is all about Love Triangles.  I haven't written one of these yet, so I'm going to have to bow to other people with experience.  The most famous triangle I can think of at the moment is in Twilight.  Meyer got rid of the main love interest (Edward) for a while in book 2 and put Bella with Jacob.  I guess it worked because it started the whole Team Edward/Team Jacob debate.  Personally, I don't like love triangles.  If your main character has to wonder if they should pick this guy or that guy, they obviously don't love either one.  Maybe they should find a third choice.

To make a love triangle really interesting I think both choices (male or female) need to be equally good.  If one is a complete ass, why bother?  The main character should see through it and grab onto the good one with both hands.  While writing for Harlequin I didn't have these problems, because Harlequin wants there to be a clear choice from the beginning.

My current WIP, the one I am writing for NaNo, Bait, is going to eventually have a love triangle, sort of, but not until the second or third book.  First I want to have two awesome main characters, drawn to each other even though their love is forbidden.  Then later, after things have come between them, I can add a potential mate for her.  There is actually another guy in Bait, a potential, but she doesn't have feelings for him.  He isn't even on her radar.

Anyway, check out what the other Carnies have to say.

1.Laura A. H. Elliott2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series4.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga
5.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog6.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed
7.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter8.Liz Long | Just another writer on the loose.
9.Ella James10.Maureen Murrish
11.YA Sci Fi Author's Ramblings12.A Little Bit of R&R
13.Melissa Pearl14.Terah Edun - YA Fantasy
15.translation agency 

No comments: