Monday, September 4, 2017

The BEST and WORST Series Finales... part one

I hate it when they ruin a television series that I love by doing a sucky finale. Shows like How I Met Your Mother screwed up the ending so badly that I can't watch it anymore. They blew it. I'm sure I'm not the only person who decided not to buy the DVDs, all 9 (was it nine) seasons. Up until the ending I loved that show, but they ruined it for me.

The finale can make or break a series. It can get you excited and make you want to own the entire collection. Or it can send you in the opposite direction and turn you off the show. 

Here are my favorites, my list of best and worst. (part 1)

1. How I Met Your Mother: WORST

I'll start with this one since I already mentioned it. I'm still angry about it. For years I followed Ted on his journey to find 'the one.' Every time he met a new woman I wondered if she would turn out to be the girl with the yellow umbrella, the one he eventually marries. By the time we reached the end of the series I was more than ready to meet her. 

The last season was terrible pretty much from start to finish. Guess the writers ran out of ideas. They used the entire season for Barney and Robin's wedding. THE WHOLE SEASON!

But what really sucked was when I realized they had killed off this wonderful, funny, perfect girl that Ted had waited for. It turns out that while he is telling his children about how he met their mother, the woman was already dead. Then his kids tell him they think he is in love with Aunt Robin. Are you kidding me?

He and Robin sucked as a couple. They were on-again, off-again. I wanted to see Ted with the love of his life. I wanted him to have a happy ending. Because of this stupid finale (and really the whole final season) I can't stand the show now. I will NOT be buying the DVDs like I'd originally planned.

2. Lost: BEST/WORST (I'm torn)

I loved this series with all of its flashbacks and flash-forwards. It's the only show I've seen that had to have specials constantly to explain what was happening. After I watched an episode I would immediately call a friend who also watched it and say, "What the hell???" We would speculate on what was going on. It was actually fun, and the show kept me on the edge of my seat.

I felt terrible for John Locke, but it was great when he turned out to be the smoke monster. That made me laugh. Most of all I enjoyed watching the characters develop. This show had the cool ability to encourage you to jump to conclusions and make snap judgments about characters before showing you flashbacks so you could discover who they really were. Makes you think. I know that I will try not to judge people so quickly anymore.

The end really threw me. I didn't get upset over any of the characters dying because I didn't believe they were actually dead. I kept thinking they were in a different realm and after they died on the island they went back to the real world. Then you find out they did actually all die. The only reason I didn't totally hate this and put it on the worst list is because the characters get to reunite after death. 

3. Fringe: WORST

If you haven't seen it, this is an X-Files kind of series. FBI Agent Olivia Dunham, a mad scientist, and a former conman join together to catch criminals and uncover paranormal events that are being caused by evil people. 

I enjoyed this series; although it can be a little gruesome. Season 4 ends on such a happy note. I wish they had stopped there. Now they didn't spoil the show for me like How I Met Your Mother did. I did buy the DVDs, seasons 1 through 4. 

Season 5 was just so stupid. I couldn't stand it, and I didn't like the ending. The scientist does something that causes Olivia and Peter to return to a point decades earlier. They forget season 5 ever happened. Lucky them. Wish I could do the same.

4. Grimm: BEST

I was surprised this paranormal show lasted as long as it did because it was on a regular network. For some reason people will watch supernatural shows on AMC or Showtime or CW, but they don't want to see it on ABC, NBC, or CBS. Weird. Fox channel seems to be able to get away with some paranormal stuff. They did have the X-Files.

Anyway, this show wraps up so beautifully. Maybe a little too good for some. It has a happy ending for almost everyone... except the bad guys. This show could be very strange and hokey, but it was fun to watch. There were a lot of funny moments. I also enjoyed the odd romance between a Grimm and a Hexenbeast. 

So this one gets the thumbs-up from me.

Check back later for part 2 of this article.

And let me know in the comments what show finales you loved or hated.

No comments: