Monday, December 17, 2012

Writer's Block

Why do they call it writer's block?  It feels more like my brain fell out of my head and I can't put together a decent paragraph to save my life.  In case you don't know, I am in the middle of writing my NaNo novel.  It's up to 77,000 words now without an end in site.  I go through the love it/hate it stage every time I write a book, and write now I am thoroughly hating it.  Don't know why.  Guess I'm just sick of working on it. 

Even though I have an extensive outline (thirteen pages) the plot isn't going where I wanted it to go.  If an outline is supposed to be like a map, I am lost.  During this phase I usually set the book aside and work on something else for a while, but I can't do that here.  People are actually waiting for this book.  A lot of people have downloaded the first six chapters from Smashwords.  As it is it is going to take me months to write, rewrite, get Beta Reader feedback, and edit it.  My goal is to have it finished by the end of this month.

I've tried taking long walks, talking it out, re-reading it from chapter one, and daydreaming about it.  I've tried watching movies and shows in the same genre.  What now?  How I can find the missing pieces?  I know they're out there.  Any ideas?

2 comments:

randi lee said...

Sometimes stepping away from something is the best medicine...why not give yourself a break for a few days, maybe even a week, and then come back to it with fresh eyes? Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you!

Kasi Blake said...

Thank you. Things are going better now. I'm in love with it again and almost finished. :)